The best option is to avoid a blocked drain altogether
Drainage systems are inseparable from our daily lives. We brush, shower, wash dishes, and do other water-related activities every day. This means that our plumbing system is always in action.
An essential aspect of the plumbing system in any home is the drains. In fact, a blocked drain can paralyse the entire plumbing system in the house. Of course, such problems come at the least expected times and are most times serious.
While there are feasible solutions fix to blocked drains and other drain issues, the best move is to avoid it happening in the first place. So, how do you avoid blocked drains? The best preventive measures include general maintenance and some positive usage habits.
What Should You Do To Prevent Blocked Drains?
The chief culprits of blocked drains in a household plumbing system include what goes down the drain when washing, rinsing, and flushing. If we are to follow the ‘prevention is better than fix’ strategy, in this case, the next question would be, “How to prevent drains becoming blocked in your home?” We have some answers for you, but before then, let’s get familiar with some simple rules on the use of drains in your home.
- The best way to prevent blockage is to ensure that all unwanted items, such as hair, lint, food scraps, and others, do not find their way down your drain.
- Always cover your drains with grates. What a grate does is to ensure that fragments that lead to blockages don’t make it through the outlet. Get a few and fit them into your laundry, kitchen, laundry, or vanity sink, as well as shower and bath drains.
- Your waste fat, grease, and oil should not go int your drain. These wastes are sticky; hence, they get stuck midway the drain. They build up into a clog and block the drain while giving off some foul smells. Avoid pouring oil down your sink. Instead, allow the oil to solidify and dispose into the bin.
- Your gutters and stormwater drains must be clear at all times. This means that you will remove the leaves and garden debris regularly to avoid blocking drains and downpipes.
- Tree roots can cause blocked drains, once they penetrate a drain they grow rapidly to take advantage of the water supply. Avoid planting any large trees or shrubs near your home.
What Should You Avoid To Prevent Blocked Toilets?
Know how your toilets were designed and use as such. Avoid flushing any item other than toilet paper and bodily waste.
- Avoid flushing any wet wipes whatsoever, including ‘flushable’ toilet wipes, baby wipes, or cooktop wipes. Instead, dispose of them in the rubbish bin.
- Attend to slow draining toilets immediately to prevent serious blockage. Early detection means you can get rid of the build-up as soon as possible. In some cases, it could be a collapsed or crushed drain causing the slow draining. In any case, bring in a plumber to assess the situation promptly.
- Avoid using your toilet and drains like a bin. Forcing the wrong materials down the drain will only block them up, leading to bigger plumbing issues.
Note that maintenance and prevention remains the best solution to all these common plumbing problems.
If you feel that a plumbing emergency is imminent, do not hesitate to contact the plumbers at Gold Coast Plumbing Experts. We have the best Gold Coast plumbers ready to help with fix your blocked drains and attend to any other plumbing issues, so contact us today!